Search & Replace - split "in current file" into separate plugin/tab

Kåre Särs kare.sars at mailbox.org
Sun Jan 16 17:45:45 GMT 2022

Hi,

On fredag 14 januari 2022 23:52:16 EET Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (I know we had similar discussion a few years ago already).
> I'd like to split the "Search in current file" into a separate plugin/tab.
This I do not agree with... that would just create more confusion... Would look like we then
have 3 search tools ;)

> For "in current file", less options would be required.
> All the "advanced" options are not necessary, so also the button to toggle
> between options and results is not necessary, and always the results would
> be visible.
(Let's assume we do not split out search in current file then...) True the "advanced/folder"
options could be automatically hidden and the toggle advanced/folder button could be
disabled.

> The "Search" buttin, the "Use current documents folder" button, the mode
> combobox, the "Expand results" button, the "add new search tab" button would
> all not be necessary.
The search button is a very convenient way to say take the time you need when searching
a huge file (in chunks). So I would say we need that.

The expand results button could also be disabled as we only have one file yes, but the "add
tab" button is there for you to add a new search tab that might have different search
settings

> I would suggest that this would always search automatically when the search
> text is modified, without maximum file size.
> I would also suggest that it searches automatically when switching to a
> different file, i.e. always the search results for the current search string
> in the current file would be visible.
That is an interesting idea, but why not just search in open files and bam you have
everything....

> Together with this, I would suggest to remove the "In current file" search
> mode from the normal "Search and Replace", and also disable the automatic
> search in the current file when typing. To me, this would actually be better
> than it is now, since the automatic searching quite often dismissed my
> search results, while I actually wanted to keep them.

For me the search as you type is totally essential in all the search modes. I use regular
expressions quite heavily and without the immediate feedback that I get with search as
you type, for the typed expression, I would have a really hard time forming the correct
regex before hitting enter to start the search in folder/project.

What do you think about having a sub-menu in the search-combo-context-menu with the
options to disable "search as you type" in the different search modes? That would be quite
easily doable. Another option would be to put those options in a plugin config page...

Cheers,
   Kåre