How can i make kate behaviour go back to normal?

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Dec 11 19:31:21 GMT 2022

Albert Astals Cid - 11.12.22, 19:01:13 CET:
> > This is an improvement, as it allows you to change settings without
> > reopening the dialog every time.
>
> I don't understand this, how can you change settings without reopening
> it every time now?

One could argue that once you opened it, it is remains open in the "Open
Widgets" area of Kate. However… you'd still have to click on it there in
order to display it again.

One could argue, in case "Open Widgets" is visible. it would be one
click versus two clicks when accessing settings window from the pull
down menu. However… not always I have the side view open in my Kate
projects. And you could stuff a symbol for settings window in the toolbar
as well.

Also with a non-modal settings window you could leave it open and
minimize it when you do not need it. Or you could even use KWin's tabbed
window feature to stuff it into the Kate window again which, one could
argue, would be quite similar to have it sitting in the editor pane as
open widget.

So while I am not sure what to think about settings in editor pane… it
may work for me or it may not, I don't know yet, I do not get the
purpose or the intent behind the change. In what way does it improve
over what I can do with Kate compared to the options I have outlined
above? Granted the tabbed window feature of KWin is somewhat hidden, and
I even don't know how to access it at the moment, or whether it has
gone. But even then… I don't get it. In what way does it improve upon
what I had before or what I could have with a non-modal settings dialog?

Also I just tried it in KWrite and found that it enlarges the KWrite
window in order to fit the setting widgets into the editor pane. This is
kind of unexpected behavior for me that the app resizes the window
without me commanding the window manager to do that. I know it happens
from time to time in settings windows when switching between different
panes there. However I would not have expected that behavior when
opening the settings dialog. So this is at least unusual to me.

The benefit of other recent changes is more obvious to me. For example
after an update of Kate I did not find block selection mode anymore. For
some reason it took me months to notice the new pull down menu
"Selection". But once I noticed, I immediately got the benefit of that
change.

Ciao,
--
Martin