Want to work on client server text editor as research/start.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 09:13:00 BST 2021

Hi,

I want to work on shared working on a document for example
LibreOffice, so that it's possible to work simultaneously on a
document or more commonly a file.

each user has her/his own client (not a web browser!), and having a
secure connection to the server.
The server handles the io with the original document file or some
backend (MySql for example, why not?). and doing the negotiation with
the client about what rights they have.
It also provides the client with the starting window/page, and handles
when collisions occur.
There must be the ability for users to communicate with each other, as
well as users get messages about other users actions like joining
their projectgroup, created a document, changed the state of a
document (for example from review to final) etc

I am working in a set of programs/services which provide a secure
connection based upon ssh. SFTP over ssh is already supported, I have
a sftp client, I'm working on support for smb using libsmb2, and want
to work on my own ssh file server.

See: https://github.com/stefbon/OSNS

Before starting on something as big as LibreOffice I want this concept
working for a simple text editor. Do you have a suggestion? Do you
gave such a simple client lying around or anything?

Thanks in advance,

Stef Bon
the Netherlands

Maybe you say: build this into Kate as soon as possib;e! That's ok,
but still it's required to get it first working for a simple client.