List of functions in Python script being edited in Kate?

Waqar Ahmed waqar.17a at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 20:00:06 BST 2021

Hi,

Setting up an LSP is fairly straightforward but can be a bit daunting
the first time you do it. Kate already handles the "LSP" config for
you (in most cases).

For python, you need pyls. Since you already have it, you can verify
whether it starts by enter on the command line:

pyls

if that executes, congrats, you have a working python language server.
There is nothing more to it really.

Now when you open a python file, Kate will automatically start the LSP
for you. To test whether it is actually working, try the
autocompletion and write somethiing. If the autocompletion items have
"[]" (square brackets) in the end, your lsp is working fine.
Additionally you can try to "Ctrl + Click" on some symbol and see
whether it takes you to the symbols definition.

There are other servers for python, like Microsofts python server and
some more. You can experiment with those yourself and ask for help if
it doesn't work. How would you configure a new server? Well, you can
start by looking at the config in "Kate -> Configure Kate -> LSP ->
Default Server Settings". Its usually just adding the executable, but
sometimes there's a little more to it.

Also, we have a help page for LSP settings in Kate Help which you can
explore it here:
https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kate/kate/kate-application-plugin-lspclient.html