not addressed by a symbolic name

Terry Scheingeld tscheingeld32 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 22:09:38 GMT 2020

I'm writing a syntax file for a JSON-like language. I started with a JSON
syntax file and have been modifying it a little bit at a time. The syntax
file is attached.

I'm trying to add line-based comments to the syntax. That is, a # character
starts a comment, and the comment ends at the end of the line. I copied
some of the code from a Ruby syntax file. The problem is triggered by the
following line:

    <DetectChar char="#"   context="General Comment" attribute="Comment" />

Later in the file is this context:

    <context name="General Comment" attribute="Comment"
lineEndContext="#pop">
        <IncludeRules context="##Alerts" />-->
    </context>

In the <ItemDatas> section is this line:

    <itemData name="Comment" defStyleNum="dsComment"/>

When I open a file with that syntax, I get a window that says "There were
warning(s) and/or error(s) while parsing the syntax highlighting
configuration. Clicking the details button gives this detail:

/home/terry/.local/share/org.kde.syntax-highlighting/syntax/axf.xml:Deprecated
syntax. Context General Comment not addressed by a symbolic name

An image of that window is attached.

I'm using Kate Version 17.12.3

Any idea what's wrong with my syntax file?