Is it possible to release a installation package which does not require KDE installation?

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Mon Jan 13 11:03:23 GMT 2020

Hi,

On Monday, January 13, 2020 10:43:27 AM EET Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> On 2020-01-13 09:41, Alexander Zhigalin wrote:
> > Sorry, sent it too early
> > You can try the AppImage https://github.com/appimage-packages/kate
> > Sadly the last version is 3 years old...
>
> Hi,
>
> I would not recommend that, it has all security faults of 3 years ago.
> And as said, that has no benefit, hat appimage is larger than the
> dependencies
> you install.
>
> Greetings
> Christoph
>
> > 13.01.2020, 09:37, "Alexander Zhigalin" <alexander at zhigalin.tk>:
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> Kate is a lot bigger than kdiff3 so it's not possible.
> >> However you can try

"KDE core lib" I wonder if we are talking about Kate from KDE4 times?

In that case the number of "libraries" to install in a recent distribution
will be bigger, but the actual size for those will be smaller.

The kdiff3-qt version just does not link any KDE core libraries all. The file
dialogs and other system integration parts are disabled (no KIO and stuff)

Kate is a heavy user of all those small helper classes found in KDE
Frameworks, so removing those dependencies is not an option :)

Kate with KF5 is not the same 450MB beast it was in the KDE4 times :)

Regards,
Kåre