kate stopped warning about changed files (but only C++ files)

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Feb 23 16:18:05 GMT 2020

El diumenge, 23 de febrer de 2020, a les 13:43:00 CET, Dominik Haumann va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> facts:
> - the feature is there on purpose and useful to many users (other editors
> do the same)

Lots of people may like this behaviour, but I think it goes against the principle of least surprise. Sometimes a file changes externally and kate shows a dialog, sometimes it does not, and as far as i can see that behaviour is not documented anywhere, so why would anyone think it's a feature and not a bug?

Can we please get the feature documented in the handbook? I guess maybe as part of "Warn about files modified by foreign processes"? https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/applications/kate/config-dialog.html#config-dialog-general

> - kate is not a replacement for a version control system

Totally agreed, and I am not asking it to be. Actually if you ask me, that special casing of git is making kate try to be a version control system, what we both seem to agree it should not.

> - still, there seem to be corner cases where the current behavior is not
> desirable
>
> Turning this into action: Albert, please provide a patch to make this
> optional.

I guess i can put it in my infinite TODO queue, but I need somebody to give me a one sentence description of what the actual behaviour is so i can put it in the configuration dialog. Because I can't seem to understand/summarize it enough.

Cheers,
  Albert