Katepart Handbook --> Script folder?

Mark Ballard markjballard at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 7 08:30:32 BST 2019

Dear Kate folk

Would you tell me where I should stick scripts when attempting to extend
Kate?

The section of the Katepart Handbook that concerns extending it, 'Scripting
with JavaScript', instructs the reader to save his first example script in
a folder $XDG_DATA_HOME/katepart5/script/indentation, with $XDG_DATA_HOME
pointing to either ~/.local or ~/.local/share.

But my implementation has no XDG_DATA_HOME and neither a
katepart5/script/indentation or a katepart5/script/ in either ~/.local or
~/.local/share.

There are four script folders that I can see:

/snap/kde-frameworks-5-core18/32/usr/share/katepart5/script
/snap/kde-frameworks-5-core18/30/usr/share/katepart5/script
/snap/kde-frameworks-5/27/usr/share/katepart5/script/
/usr/share/katepart5/script/

The first two of these each contain nothing but a blank readme.md file. The
last two each contains a libraries folder with a single identical file
called underscore.js.

I do also have a kate folder like the one described in the manual, in my
home directory:

~/.local/share/kate/

That contains only a session folder.

Would you be kind enough to save me from tangling in knot weeds from the
off, when attempting to adapt your excellent text editor, by telling me
where I should put the example?

Yrs

mjb.