kate lsp client plugin

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Jun 26 14:27:17 BST 2019

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 11:59:10 PM CEST Mark Nauwelaerts wrote:
> On 25/06/19 21:40, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > On 2019-06-25 14:53, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Given one can just copy the plugin directory into the addons directory of
> >> the normal kate.git (and add it to cmakelists.txt) I would not spend time
> >> on the standalone compile.
> >>
> >> Actually, one could develop later on it even if we don't directly release
> >> it per default in the normal kate.git and just keep it default off for
> >> the compilation.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have given your plugin a try here ;=)
> >
> > I must confess, it does all things better than my quick hack!
> >
> > Actually, to get more people out there testing it, I would think
> > it might make sense to move development to the normal kate.git
> > and just not activate the compile of the plugin per default.
> >
> > Would that be interesting for you or do you want to keep developing
> > it on your own repo?
> >
> > Greetings
> > Christoph
>
> Thanks, nice to hear it also works elsewhere rather than just Works For Me
> ;-)
>
> It's written to be used/tested and to be(come) part of Kate, so if I can
> put/push things there so it's picked up easier (and by more people), then
> moving that way (with optional compilation and so) is fine by me :-)
>
> At least, that is assuming that it can be arranged that I can somehow still
> carry on (hopefully fast paced) development (in coming weeks) in an easy
> way, i.e. with some fairly discretionary "commit and push" ability (on
> plugin code). Whether we are then talking about master or (more likely)
> some other (lspclient?) branch.  I am not up to specs on applied
> development practices (yet) in such regard ... And suffice it to say I
> don't have any such access to kate.git at this time ;-).

KDE works on a trust basis. If you are only hacking on your plugin which isn't
officially released and off-by-default, then there is no risk of you breaking
anything. As such, you are free to commit there directly without going through
review.

That said, eventually, a review should be done. Probably it would be good if
someone could do a review early on to catch some things early. Sadly, I don't
have the time for this currently. But I definitely have this on my agenda for
the next weeks then.

It's going to be interesting to see how we could use this within KDevelop
then. We probably will want to enable the plugin there, but disable its
language server for python and cpp where we already have some home-grown
language support. That said, even those should probably die in the long term
and replaced by lsp clients.

Cheers

--
Milian Wolff