No plugins found when building kate from source

Daan De Meyer daan.j.demeyer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 19:14:01 BST 2019

It seems the plugin search directory is hardcoded to /usr/lib/qt/plugins
and the installation directory of the executable (in my case
/usr/local/bin/kate). The plugins themselves are located at
/usr/local/lib/plugins so they are not found by the kde plugin loader as it
only searches in QCoreApplication::libraryPaths() which returns the earlier
mentioned directories.

The qt documentation lists https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qt-conf.html as a way to
override these hardcoded paths so I changed the CMake config to add a
qt.conf file to the executable containing the install location of the
plugins. However, this causes kate to fail to start since the default
search path for qt plugins (/usr/lib/qt/plugins) is overwritten so default
qt plugins cannot be found anymore.

Another way to solve the problem is to add the required search paths when
starting kate. I can generate a custom settings file containing the plugin
installation directory with CMake and load it when starting kate but I
wanted to ask here first since I'd be very surprised if this problem hasn't
been encountered and solved by someone before me.

Regards,

Daan