How to make the CTags plugin default disabled for only KDevelop, but not Kate?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Jul 10 23:07:51 BST 2019

Hi René,

I sense frustration on your side. But please understand that the overall
majority of KDevelop's current target group shall be able to use KDevelop's
own code symbol engine. Having the CTags plugin enabled by default only gets
in the way for them. If they needed something else most could be simply using
Kate instead.

This here is about sensible defaults. You shall be still able to use the
CTags plugin in KDevelop.

Am Mittwoch, 10. Juli 2019, 23:48:48 CEST schrieb René J.V. Bertin:
> On Wednesday July 10 2019 23:03:41 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> >Opinions? Better ideas?
>
> There has been some discussion (between me and IIRC Kevin) about a feature
> allowing users to select which plugins they want to disable completely, and
> which (= the others) should be enabled by default in a new session. (I
> don't think it is well defined ATM which KDevelop plugins are going to be
> active when you create a new session, if you have ever disabled any
> plugins.) I think I planned to start looking into this myself, and then had
> 2nd thoughts or re-evaluated my priorities.
>
> Yes, this would mean that you have 2 plugin selection interfaces, one which
> you see in normal use, and one which you only see when needed.
>
> I suppose this feature could be implemented at the framework level so that
> Kate users (and users of hypothetical other applications built on the same
> basis) could also benefit from this feature. If I actually used kate I'd
> probably appreciate the feature there too.

This surely might be an approach for easening the customization. Yet, we have
to decide about defaults, the settings before a user has to do anything at
all to customize. Those should be close to what the majority would use (and
shall learn about on first contact).

And at least for now I very assume that the Enabled default should be
different with the CTags plugin for Kate than it should be with KDevelop
(well, Kate's LSPClient plugin might soon change that once more).

Thanks for first thoughts.

Cheers
Friedrich