Updating ki18n_wrap_ui usages to work with targets

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Thu Aug 8 08:31:42 BST 2019

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 09:24:53 CEST Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2019-08-06 23:23, Alex Turbov wrote:
> > Ugh, it sounds really disappointing to wait *half a year*!
> > The whole way looks very over-conservative to me. I imagine if someone
> > has a feature to ECM which must be adopted by N `kate`s
> > dependencies...
> > Then the feature can be used in N/2 *years*!!! REALLY??!!
> >
> > This turtle driven development could kill many good ideas %(
> >
> > Seriously, what the reasons not to depend on the latest versions of KF
> > libs? As far as I know, framework libs released *before* KDE Plasma
> > Apps. So, having the latest deps looks pretty normal way to get the
> > latest features to me. What could be wrong w/ this approach?
>
> we want that it is easy to contribute to our stuff.
>
> It is already not that easy to build Kate & co. because we have plenty
> of
> dependencies (e.g. see https://kate-editor.org/build-it/) but that will
> be even harder if we start to require bleeding edge frameworks.
> At least now, I can just build Kate with the distro packages for all
> frameworks.
>
> If we would lack some crucial feature due to too old dependencies, I
> have
> no issue with increasing the needed versions.

+1, very much.

It is demotivating for new contributors to have to build all deps in their
latest version, rather than relying on what's out their in the wild. I can't
count the many times I actually wanted to contribute sth to e.g. kmail -- then
stopped b/c it required me to update+rebuild all its dependencies just for
working on an issue in kmail itself. It's highly frustrating if people keep
bumping min required versions just "because". That's not how software
development (at least in the open-source scene where you do not necessarily
control the build environment) is done.

You can do that if you like to run a one-man show and not expect any new
contributors, but if you do endorse people having people collaborate, allow
using development packages from at least the LTS versions of the major distros
out there.

Regards,
Kevin