Updating ki18n_wrap_ui usages to work with targets

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Wed Aug 7 08:24:53 BST 2019

Hi,

On 2019-08-06 23:23, Alex Turbov wrote:
> Ugh, it sounds really disappointing to wait *half a year*!
> The whole way looks very over-conservative to me. I imagine if someone
> has a feature to ECM which must be adopted by N `kate`s
> dependencies...
> Then the feature can be used in N/2 *years*!!! REALLY??!!
>
> This turtle driven development could kill many good ideas %(
>
> Seriously, what the reasons not to depend on the latest versions of KF
> libs? As far as I know, framework libs released *before* KDE Plasma
> Apps. So, having the latest deps looks pretty normal way to get the
> latest features to me. What could be wrong w/ this approach?

we want that it is easy to contribute to our stuff.

It is already not that easy to build Kate & co. because we have plenty
of
dependencies (e.g. see https://kate-editor.org/build-it/) but that will
be even harder if we start to require bleeding edge frameworks.
At least now, I can just build Kate with the distro packages for all
frameworks.

If we would lack some crucial feature due to too old dependencies, I
have
no issue with increasing the needed versions.

But here we are talking about more or less cosmetic changes in the
build system that will not affect any user nor contributor.