plugin plug: zealsearch

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Fri Nov 30 10:55:42 GMT 2018

On fredag 30 november 2018 kl. 11:14:54 EET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Friday November 30 2018 08:25:07 Kåre Särs wrote:
> >Why not?
>
> I didn't write the plugin myself; I'd have to see with the original author
> why he never attempted upstreaming (I'm CC'ing him for that reason). And I
> must admit that giving up (a certain amount of) control over your code
> which is what happens when it is incorporated in KF5 Applications doesn't
> really appeal to me. There's also the fact that this is a plugin that
> should be mostly of interest to developers.

If you both are OK with include it in the Kate git repository, I hope that one
of you wants to continue maintaining it in the Kate repo. Maintaining "my"
plugins has been the entry point for me into Kate.

> But I'd be more than happy to incorporate changes that make it easier to
> build the plugin for installation in a plugin repository under $HOME (if
> that's possible).
> >I did not know about zealdocs before, but at first it looks like a really
> >usable addon!
>
> Yes, I do use it quite regularly from KDevelop, despite the support for
> QtHelp documentation in that IDE.
>
> I never looked how many other "independent" KTextEditor plugins there are.
> If there are enough of them that are of interest it might be possible to
> write a set of CMake routines to grab them and include them in the build as
> an option?

I think many distributions would not like that we add code that downloads
stuff while compiling. It is also a hassle to keep the the external links up
to date and secure.

Having a plugin in the Kate repo will give the plugin much more visibility and
the risk of getting outdated/broken is smaller as every Kate developer would
notice any compilation error.

/Kåre