collaborative editing

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Wed Nov 28 22:26:25 GMT 2018

On Wednesday, 28 November 2018 21:26:01 CET you wrote:
> By the way, Atom developers have implemented such feature, which they
> call teletype: https://teletype.atom.io
>
> On 24/09/2017 15:04, Martin Genet wrote:
> > This looks so cool. Thanks so much for the pointer, Sven. To me this
> > looks like the future (collaborative work from the desktop), and I
> > really wonder why it looks abandoned. Anyway, thanks again. Martin

I think part of the reason is that it is very easy to name applications for it
on paper and imagine how wonderful everything would be, but in practice it's
just not as useful as it sounds for a wide variety of small reasons.

It's a bit like everyone has dreamed of video calls for decades, yet today
every call could be a video call if you wanted it to be, but for various
reasons few people regularily use them. The same thing is happening or going
to happen to voice controlled appliances.

TL;DR: I still see the coolness in the feature, but I'm not going to spend
time on reviving it again since I think its practical applications are too
limited, and too well covered by e.g. Google Docs.

Best,
Sven