D16668: Remove document preview plugin: current technology harms workflow

gregormi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Nov 11 18:43:21 GMT 2018

gregormi added a comment.

  In D16668#357951 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16668#357951>, @kossebau wrote:

  > @gregormi @sars Is there a chance I could transfer the in-official maintainership of this plugin to you then?
  >  Truth is I have lost my love for this plugin and do not care as much as would be good. D12131 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12131> e.g. had me passive besides helping to fix the related crashes in kdevelop. Any time I look at this plugin I rather start to think about fixing kxmlgui, but never with the needed amount of resources, so resultless.

  You said the plugin as it is now, has no future. But the shortcut issue could be solved by removing all shortcut settings from the plugin, couldn't it?

  > In D16668#354713 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16668#354713>, @gregormi wrote:
  >
  >> (One thing I noticed: in the beginning there was the Webview preview widget to render markdown; and now most of the time an Okular widget is shown for the markdown preview. Probably it depends which render plugin is loaded first)
  >

  > The KParts plugin is chosen which is system/user globally selected as preferred one for embedded view. This selection though is only possible to edit with Plasma SystemSettings -> Applications -> File Associations -> text/markdown -> Embedded. The plan would have been to a) give a shortcut to open these settings from the plugin b) add a custom variant to the Kate Settings to allow overwriting those system/user global settings. But motivation to do that sadly also blocked by the key shortcuts issue.
  >  Does changing the order in the settings work for you? If not, please tell, I would be still eager enough to fix that at least.

  a) and b) sound like good ideas. Yes, changing the order in "File Associations -> text/markdown -> Embedded" works - thanks for this hint - I didn't know that this setting exist! But nothing to fix for you, then ;-)

REPOSITORY
  R40 Kate