D16668: Remove document preview plugin: current technology harms workflow

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Nov 4 19:10:22 GMT 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  It's painful to propose this, as I had invested quite some time into it, also by tuning some kparts plugins for optimized usage or even writing a new one, kmarkdownwebview, just for the preview purpose, and then doing some blog posts.
  But after the initial proud-developer-and-testing phase I found myself in normal user life too often avoid using the plugin, due to the annoying shortcut issue. And then there are some minor papercuts as well which still are unsolved (mimetype changes, new document unknown mimetype, etc).

  I never got lots of feedback, so have no idea how large any userbase of the plugin is and how much they rely on it now. There surely are some who at least tried it, and found it worthwhile to file some bug reports, cmp. https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?component=plugin-preview&product=kate&resolution=---

  The feature itself surely is something very wanted still.

REPOSITORY
  R40 Kate