ktexteditor and syntax-highlighting porting

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Sun Jul 29 08:53:13 BST 2018

Hi Christoph,

KDEPIM also uses the syntax hl framworks.
- https://phabricator.kde.org/D7672
- https://cgit.kde.org/kpimtextedit.git/commit/?id=c775ce3a438814f82cb1ba9c2c8671b9f5be08c4

But I think this will not help.

Reading the docs and source code:
- the Format ID is unique per Repository and valid as long as the
Repository is not reloaded
- the Format IDs are NOT saved by the Repository, so a map from ALL
IDs to Formats does not exist
- the Format is saved in the DefinitionData class, which essentially
is the data holder class of Definition
- the DefinitionData class holds a QHash<QString, Format> formats; but
no id -> Format hash

What we can add:
1. QHash<uint16_t, Format> Definition::formatHash() const;
2. Format Definition::format(uint16_t) const;
3. QHash<uint16_t, Format> Repository::formatHash() const;
4. Format Repository::format(uint16_t) const;

What are our use cases?
a) print syntax guide (we need all itemDatas)
b) syntax highlighting (your case)

For a) printing the syntax guide, I think 1+2 would be useful
For b) syntax highlighting, the full hash is probably easier: 3+4

Adding these functions is not much work, any opinions?
Shall I create a review request so we can discuss on code level?

@Volker: Any comments from your side? ;)

Greetings
Dominik