***UNCHECKED*** Running self-built kate on ubuntu

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Fri Jan 26 19:51:27 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 13:03:40 EET Tim Passingham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently built kate (on ubuntu 17.10) as per the excellent
> instructions at https://kate-editor.org/build-it/ .  I have, however,
> fallen at the last hurdle, i.e. running it, due to having limited linux
> skills.
>
> The instructions say "Now you can run the compiled Kate version from you
> shell via|kate|after sourcing this script via|. ~/kde/env.sh|."
>
> I don't understand what this means.  What does 'sourcing this script'
> mean? I have run the env.sh script, but typing kate (or Kate) in a
> terminal does not run it.    Do I have to run the env.sh script every
> time, or just once?  What exactly does 'run...from you shell via kate' mean?

It means that you open a terminal and in there type: . ~/kde/env.sh

This command sets the environment variables to make it possible to run your
newly built Kate. Note the dot and space before ~/kde/...The command is the
same as: "source  ~/kde/env.sh"

Then after that just start kate by typing: kate

/Kåre