Running self-built kate on ubuntu

Tim Passingham tim at tim-passingham.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 11:03:40 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have recently built kate (on ubuntu 17.10) as per the excellent
instructions at https://kate-editor.org/build-it/ .  I have, however,
fallen at the last hurdle, i.e. running it, due to having limited linux
skills.

The instructions say "Now you can run the compiled Kate version from you
shell via|kate|after sourcing this script via|. ~/kde/env.sh|."

I don't understand what this means.  What does 'sourcing this script'
mean? I have run the env.sh script, but typing kate (or Kate) in a
terminal does not run it.    Do I have to run the env.sh script every
time, or just once?  What exactly does 'run...from you shell via kate' mean?

If I go to ~/kde/usr/bin in a terminal I can run kate there directly,
but I really want to run it from the gui with a .desktop file.  I can
see the desktop in ~/kde/usr/share/applications but it doesn't appear in
my application list on ubuntu.

With apologies for ignorance, but hoping for some help in a reply or CC
to this email.

Regards

Tim Passingham

email:    tim at tim-passingham.co.uk