D17459: SearchBar: Add Cancel button to stop long running tasks

loh tar noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Dec 10 02:08:16 GMT 2018

loh.tar added a comment.

  > I would probably not make the button that big

  There are two reasons why it is so big:

  1. It's handy. You do not have to move the mouse, no matter which button was clicked
  2. It "covers" both buttons to avoid a re-start of any such action without the need to disable them

  The first is of course the main reason.

  > That always leads to evil things, like e.g. what happens if you press the X button of the view/window during that.

  Assumed the changes you want are done, I have problems to understand in which way this will avoid that the Close-Window button can be clicked. For a working Cancel button you have to call in some way the event loop, even direct as currently, or indirect due to some suspend from the current work.

  > It would be better to refactor the replaceAll method in a way that it does
  >
  > 1. setup
  > 2. trigger the search part wise via e.g. single shot timer
  > 3. some finalize phase at the end

  As you know, I'm a bit "slow" at times, Your instructions are not sufficient for me how to do that.

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor