D12662: Add InlineNoteInterface

Michal Srb noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 13 08:03:04 BST 2018

michalsrb added a comment.

  Sorry, I had almost no time to work on it. I got stuck trying to figure out how to properly handle the notes at the beginning of the lines.

  Then I created KDevelop plugin as experiment to try if the interface is usable:
  https://github.com/michalsrb/kdev-sourceinfo

  F6190087: final-anim.gif <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6190087>

  With that experience I think two things should be done differently:

  - The notes should use something like `MovingCursor` instead of fixed line + column, so they move when the text is edited, instead of waiting for refresh from the provider.
  - Currently the notes are "glued" to the character on their left side - it is not possible to place cursor in between that letter and the note. It feels unnatural when editing. In other editors (e.g. IntelliJ) the note behaves as separate character/object and the cursor can be placed on both sides. The note is still not editable, pressing backspace or delete just skips over the note. Any advice on how to achieve this with ktexteditor would be helpful.

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor