KSyntaxHighlighting meta data

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Aug 2 12:29:38 BST 2018

On Thursday, 2 August 2018 11:31:59 CEST Dominik Haumann wrote:
> > I'm not too worried about keeping API compatibility for extra getters,
> > this
> > all exists since many years and has proven to be stable.
>
> Ok.
>
> > I am however more
> > worried about aspects of the syntax files becoming part of the de-facto
> > API
> > that you might not expect to be "API". We have that with the keyword
> > access
> > now for example, which exposes internal names used in the syntax files.
>
> True, I haven't thought about it this way. Should we remove the
> keywordList() getters again? Maybe we can come up with something better at
> Akademy.
>
> CC: Alexander, who requested this feature

I don't think we need to revert that, there's indeed valid use-cases for it,
like the one Alexander has, and IIRC the Sieve editor in KDE PIM also
duplicates the keyword list for auto-completion. And I don't really see a way
to enable that without accessing the lists by name.

It's just something to keep in mind before we go further down that route, and
possible to mention in the docs for the XML files, so we don't rename stuff
there without thinking about the implications.

Regards,
Volker