RFC: Downloading xml highlighting files

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Sep 24 10:21:45 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Monday, 18 September 2017 19:30:25 CEST Dominik Haumann wrote:
> From this follows:
> Is it worth to have this feature? Can we simply/silently drop it?
> Given the KDE Frameworks are released each months, users nowadays get
> the updates through the distributions much more often anyways. Should
> we keep as is, since we never got bug reports about broken
> dependencies so it seems to be "good enough"? Can we change the system
> somehow to download a bundle that contains all hl files?
>
> Thoughts?

There is a use-case for this: shipping KF5::SyntaxHighlighting as part of a
commercial product, which requires excluding highlighting files with licenses
problematic for distribution (see e.g. QtCreator).

That's all-or-nothing though, no individual file downloads, and thus doesn't
have the dependency problem.

Regards,
Volker