Editing from Windows via SSH

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Fri Sep 8 06:07:42 UTC 2017

On torsdag 7 september 2017 kl. 22:00:51 EEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hello Keith,
>
> Keith Bookman - 07.09.17, 21:39:
> > I am trying to run kate editor on a Windows 10 machine to edit files that
> > access using PuTTY (with X11 forwarding enabled).
> >
> > I ran yum groupinstall "X Window System" on the CentOS 7 box.
> >
> > I assumed the next step was to run kate in the PuTTY window, but I get an
> > error:
> >
> > # kate health-check.php
> > -bash: kate: command not found
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> You didn´t install kate?
>
> Plasma desktop is in a different package group, but I think you can also
> just install package for kate (which may just be name kate, but I don´t use
> a Plasma desktop on CentOS, so this is guesswork).
>
> Or you install kate on Windows and hope that it includes enough of KDE
> Frameworks to actually use sftp/fish kio slaves. That way you wouldn´t have
> to install a desktop on your server.

Unfortunately for this scenario, the Kate installers at download.kde.org/
stable/kate/ use the standard platform integration which uses the standard file
open/save dialogs that do NOT support remote protocols.

It should be possible to open remote files through command line, but the
necessary KIO slaves and applications are not compiled nor included... It
should be possible to do tho, but it is not in the plans at the moment...

Regards,
  Kåre