Editing from Windows via SSH

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Sep 7 19:00:51 UTC 2017

Hello Keith,

Keith Bookman - 07.09.17, 21:39:
> I am trying to run kate editor on a Windows 10 machine to edit files that I
> access using PuTTY (with X11 forwarding enabled).
>
> I ran yum groupinstall "X Window System" on the CentOS 7 box.
>
> I assumed the next step was to run kate in the PuTTY window, but I get an
> error:
>
> # kate health-check.php
> -bash: kate: command not found
>
> What am I missing?

You didn´t install kate?

Plasma desktop is in a different package group, but I think you can also just
install package for kate (which may just be name kate, but I don´t use a
Plasma desktop on CentOS, so this is guesswork).

Or you install kate on Windows and hope that it includes enough of KDE
Frameworks to actually use sftp/fish kio slaves. That way you wouldn´t have to
install a desktop on your server.

Thanks,
--
Martin