Kate on Windows - where is indentationsensitive

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Fri Oct 6 07:15:09 UTC 2017

Hi Dhimant,

On tisdag 3 oktober 2017 kl. 18:56:33 EEST Dhimant Patel wrote:
> | Hi All,
>
> I like the indent based code folding - it is essential for me.
> The best editor in this regard is jEdit which offers indent based code
> folding for plain text mode.Issues: heavy, not consistent
>
> Currently I use Notepad++.Issues: only works on windows. Need to set default
> document type (.py)
>
> I want to see if I can use Kate instead of the other two. Ideally I want the
> "untitled" new document to be able to fold the text just by indentation. Is
> it possible? I did check under Setting=>Configure Kate=>Edit
> component=>Editing=>Indentation but no option for it.

When you have a new "untitled" document Kate does not know what type of
document you are going to type so it assumes you want the "Normal" mode. In
normal mode the next line will be indented as the previous one. But you can
change the highlighting and indentation type to python for the current
document with:
Tools -> Mode -> Sctripts -> Python

By default aligning does not have a keyboard shortcut, but it is easy to add
in: Settings->Configure Shortcuts... I usually set Ctrl-Tab for aligning code,
but that does override the quick document switch shortcut.

Regards,
  Kåre