[Kwintv] How to get kwintv going with a vcr

Steve beforewisdom at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 22:00:24 CEST 2005

Mike Zarek wrote:
> "line in" on the tv card (physically on the back of the card bracket)
> usually refers to audio ... Most huappage cards (I don't know what model
> you have) require a pigtail to breakout the individual jacks from a
> multi-jack on back (looks similar to S-video, but more pins)... You are
> looking for a "video in" jack .. It will be a female RCA connector, just
> like the one on back of the VCR..

Okay.

I'm trying to connect my vcr to my haugapuge TV card  and watch the
output in kdetv.

When I press "Devices" on the kdetv menu I am told that it is seeing
"bt878 HaugePauge video4linx(/dev/video ).

I found the manual that came with my TV card.  It has the following
jacks labeled thusly in the manual:

- FM radio connector ( looks like a coaxial )
- TV  Connector ( for antenna or Cable TV input )
- line out ( audio output )
- S-Video input and camera connector
- line in ( audio input )
- "IR" remote control receiver socket

I went out to Radio Shack ( US electronics store ) and bought an "RF
Modulator".  I hooked that to my vcr and my hauge pauge card thus:

RF mod "to tv" jack  <-- coaxial cable --> tv card "TV Connector" jack

RF mod yellow "video jack"  <-- rf cable --> vcr yellow video out jack
RF mod red "audio jack"     <-- rf cable --> vcr red "audio right" jack
Rf mod white "audio jack"   <-- rf cable --> vcr white "audio left" jack

The light on the RF modulator was on, indicating a signal was going into
it.  The RF modulator has a swtich for channel 3 or 4 ( I picked 3 ) and
it had an "OHMS" switch with 75 or 1K.  I picked 75.  Also on the RF
modulator was another coaxial jack labeled "ANT IN" and and "S Video" jack.

The VRC was on channel 3.

I then went to kdetv | settings | configure kdetv | channels | new

I picked "composite 1" for "source" and "auto" for "encoding"

I got further along, instead of static I got a solid blue screen with no
sound.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/Veg/healthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap:  It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"