[Kwintv] Debugging mplayer/xine issues

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Sun Jun 5 21:00:07 CEST 2005

On Saturday 04 June 2005 22:07, Christoph Brill wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've been playing around with finding the problem with Xv. It looks to
> me that we were searching in the wrong direction (though I'm not sure
> about that).
>
> >From what I understood Xv was reported not to work after mplayer/xine
>
> was run. I think that is wrong. It's v4l and v4l2 not working after
> mplayer/xine, since I still can get an working video with
> "XVideo: video4linux (port 73)"
> but neither with
> "Video4Linux: BT878 (Hauppauge(bt878))"
> nor
> "Video4Linux2: BT878 (Hauppauge(bt878))"
>
> If I understood that right, we looked at the wrong place. Though I added
> a few changes to kxv.cpp (but reverting them did not trigger any
> regressions or improvements).
>
> Can someone give me some info on that?
The XVideo uses the v4l bridge functionality of the v4l X-Server module (grab
from v4l and display using Xv). This is basically the same that kdetv's v4l
plugins do. But the V4L bridge does the initialization right while kdetv does
not. Read the manual sections about the plugins, there is a better
explanation.