[Kwintv] remote control support

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 13 17:13:41 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 13.46, jeremy at fantasticfamily.net wrote:
> Unfortunatley, I can't read this :-(

Not a big problem for you because he was complaining that he is getting
these kdetv messages, but he did not request them.

> Here's where I'm at. There seems to be little to no documentation on
> this topic. I'd be willing to write it if I can get this working.
>
> The remote control is working. Using the lircrc for TV-Time, I can
> control tv-time almost perfectly. So, I understand the lircd part of
> the equation. What I don't understand is the KDE part of the equation.
> How do I get lircd talking to irkick? It seems to me that I would need
> some form of communication between the two?

irkick is talking automatically with lircd, but if it cannot recognize your
remote, then it will present you with an empty configuration dialog.
So it seems that you need to create a remote definition file that matches
your remote.
You need a file with the same name as your remote is called in your
lircd.conf.
It is not too hard to write a new remote definition file. Just take an
existing one and modify it to match yours from the lircd.conf.

> Thanks again for all your help! It's much appriciated.

I will try to help you, but I'm short on time currently. So try what I
wrote above and report back if you have any problems.

Regards,
Zsolt