[Kwintv] no sound on SuSE 9.1

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Thu May 13 12:29:43 CEST 2004

Hi,

>>This is odd. I'be been using kdetv on SuSE 9.0 without a problem, I
>>reinstalled with 9.1 and now I have no sound with kdetv. Sound still
>>works for everything else. I do get video, and there have been no
>>physical hardware changes.
>
> Hm... I don't use SuSE (anymore) but I had a similar problem recently with my
> system: all sound was working fine but kdetv didn't seem to work. For me it
> was just a button ("LED") I had to click in the advanced settings of KMix to
> get kdetv sound back.
>
> On my (Gentoo) box with KDE 3.2.1 my KMix suddenly had much more options
> because I switched from OSS to ALSA. Since then I have the "advanced options"
> button in KMix which now allows me to activate or deactivate several things
> of my sound card that I wasn't able to set with OSS. Do you also have that
> "advanced options" button now as well (using ALSA)? If so, just click it and
> try to activate or deactivate the green "LEDs" in there while kdetv is
> running. One of them (on the upper right) enabled my kdetv sound again. I
> can't remember its functionality exactly and I'm not at home right now to
> check for its name/label...

In SuSE 9.1, you probably have to launch KMix explicitly to see those,
as it uses KAMix by default, which doesn't show those options :(

I had this problem as well when switching from SuSE 9.0 to 9.1, as I
have self-compiled kernels and switched from OSS to ALSA as well with
that change. It's enough to set this once though, and it will stay
correct when rebooting the system. So you can launch KMix, set it, quit
KMix again and stay using KAMix again afterwads...

Robert Kaiser