[Kwintv] Re: My old problem with v4l & xVideo

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Mon Jun 14 07:34:44 CEST 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 00:26, Andras Mantia wrote:
> Andras Mantia wrote:
> > So does anyone see this behavior? Do you have any idea what it can be
> > (kdetv problem or something other)?
>
> I found the reason: the zvbi / teletext plugin. Without zvbi there is no
> image freeze and without teletext there isn't either. But of course I will
> not have teletext in this case. :-(
>  I have zvbi 0.2.5. Is there a know problem with this version?
My setup is very close to yours: zvbi 0.2.5., Kernel 2.6, AMD 2000+, SuSE9.1.
I don't see these freezes. Is it the teletext plugin or the vbidecoder
plugin? Teletext only decodes, I suspect the vbidecoder to cause the
slowdowns. Oh, and beware, the vbidecoder has an optimisation, it shuts down
when no client (teletext or channelscanner) is using it. What vbidecoder
does: It has a thread that reads /dev/vbi*, decodes and sends Qt events
whenever e.g. a page is decoded or a station name is broadcasted. Maybe the
event sending is too fast and fills Qt's event queue?