[Kwintv] My old problem with v4l & xVideo

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Jun 13 22:10:56 CEST 2004

Hi,

 I'm wondering if I'm the only one being unable to enjoy v4l with XVideo
and what can be the real issue. I have an Athlon XP2000+, a bt848 video
card (Miro PCTV), an NVidia GeForce2MX card and a modern OS (SuSE 9.1)
with Kernel 2.6 and from time to time (but quite often) the picture
freezes for a second making it unenjoyable. With overlay or XVideo
plugin this isn't a problem, so there is something with the grab &
display. I had similar problems with SuSE 9.0 (kernel 2.4). CPU usage
is around 25-30%, and as far as I see it isn't higher even when the
freeze happens. So it looks like it's not a high CPU usage problem.
So does anyone see this behavior? Do you have any idea what it can be
(kdetv problem or something other)?
 I don't like XVideo for the case when kdetv is running as a small
window, but when it's running on fullscreen would be nice to enjoy
everything, including the deinterlacing.

Andras