[Kwintv] Re: OpenGL view mode and a new threading solution

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 5 17:02:29 CEST 2004

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 01:04:27PM +0200, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've rewritten the OpenGL view mode code. Anybody with hardware OpenGL
> acceleration, please try it (the latest ATI drivers OOPS on my SuSE
> 9.1 :-((( ). However, it is still unstable and may make the program HANG at
> shutdown. But if it works well, I'll try to find a solution for it.

I have nvidia, so I could try. I just compiled it, but I can't find the
OpenGL output driver. Where is it, what should I do?

> Another solution for the threading problems in kdetv may be a "XInitThreads()"
> call in main.cpp. It works fine, only OpenGL freezes at widget creation.
> Also, I found many places in the net where problems with this call are
> described; even Qt does not call it by default. Does anyone have experience
> with it?

I use it in kxineplayer (kdeextragear-2/kmplayer/src/xineplayer.cpp). According
to XInitThreads man page, it only works if all threads use the X(Un)LockDisplay
and not some other mutex for accessing the display. (which also means that
the grabber thread and Qt still excluding each other accessing the display)
What are exactly the "threading problems" btw.

Regards,

Koos