[Kwintv] Patch for various stuff that I didnt like

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Fri Jul 9 22:09:33 CEST 2004

> > But also surely not a limitation or bug of kdetv... The "fault" of your
> > system is to use your remote buttons in an incompatible way. Fix KDELIRC
> > instead.
>
> Hmm indeed, I'm starting to confuse all the apps I recently installed LOL.
> Sorry :/
>
> But lets get a bit offtopic *g*, what is incompatible about making the tv
> button start the tv application? Both ways of doing that (one through
> kdelirc klauncher-preset, other one by using the "just start application"
> function for kdetv) result in kdetv being started multiple times regardless
> of the setting to start it only if it's not yet running.

On Friday 09 July 2004 17:12, Stefan Gehn wrote:
"Unfortunately I used radio and tv buttons both for switching modes _and_ for
starting the app if it's not already started."
Here is rhe incompatibility ;-)

Using it only for starting the app is OK. Complaining about it starting
multiple instances is allowed, too. But only on the KDELIRC list ;-)

> Using multiple instances of a dcop app easily breaks dcop-interaction it
> seems. You either have to start iterating over the list of running dcop
> apps and use the first one starting with "kdetv-" (might as well be another
> app named like that) or you won't be able to find the app. I don't think
> that's a nice way to handle multiple instance of a dcop-enabled
> application.
I had a conversation with Gav Wood (KDELIRC author) about that when it was in
kdenonbeta. The idea of "send to all apps", "send to top ins stacking order"
and "send to bottom in stacking order" came from me. It was the only
reasonable idea I had for the problem. But IMO an option "don't start
multiple instances" would be useful, too.

> > If you like, provide a patch. I'm working on other things ATM.
> Sure, if I manage to find out where to window creation and switching takes
> place (shouldn't be that hard, so far I found kdetv to be pretty
> straightforward code-wise).
clients/kdetv/mainwindow.cpp saveWindowProperties()