[Kwintv] Patch for various stuff that I didnt like

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Fri Jul 9 18:43:30 CEST 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 17:12, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> On Freitag Juli 9 2004 16:51, George Staikos wrote:
> > On Friday 09 July 2004 07:54, mETz wrote:
> > > Due to some annoying bits I wrote a patch which does the following:
> > > - Makes kdetv use KUniqueApplication and by default allow only one
> > > instance, running a second doesn't make sense for me and you can still
> > > allow it by changing the desktop file, also adjusted
> >
> >    Don't like it - I might want to run a quickcam in one instance and
> > tuner in another.
For me, a KUniqueApp would be sufficient too, but there is no point crippling
it to a unique app when it acutally can handle multiple instances.

> Then how to stop kdelirc from spawning a new kdetv everytime I hit the TV
> button on my rc? It does not seem to find apps named "kdetv-SOMEPID" and
> always launches another one. Unfortunately I used radio and tv buttons both
> for switching modes _and_ for starting the app if it's not already started.
Think you have to find another way for that because it is a limitation of
_your_ system - I don't apply fixes that make kdetv work on only one more
system.

> > > - disable the so called "work around xv driver bug" in KdetvXv which
> > > always mutes audio while resizing the window. Everything works fine
> > > without that hack, what was this workaround for anyway?
> >
> >    Just because the bug does't affect you doesn't mean that it doesn't
> > affect others.  I don't think this should be applied.
>
> That neither answers my question nor does it make the bug caused by that
> call any better.
I currently tend to remove the workaround, too. It's annoying me, too. Since
you wrote it, George, do you think it's worth a try to remove it now? Two
years have passed sice the code was written...

> > > Another thing is this desktop mode I saw in some places of the code. Is
> > > it working already and if yes, how to get a gui-element for it? :)
> >
> >   It was working at one time, don't know if it still is.
>
> There is no gui to switch to desktop mode so it either isn't always
> available or it's not meant to be visible because it's not working (yet ?).
I disabled it because it doesn't work on my system. I have no interest in
fixing it, but no objections if you want to give it a try. Not sure, but you
should still be able to set the view mode using DCOP. For me, it was always
"one paint event behind", e.g. if I hide a window, a rectangle remains on the
desktop. The next repaint event makes it disappear.

> There's another little buglet when you exit kdetv while in tvmode, it shows
> the main window (with no contents) before actually exiting. I didn't look
> into this yet but may do so later.
On shutdown, kdetv saves the window positions. Therefore, it has to switch
back to normal mode.