[Kwintv] Nearly fine, but still some standard problems at startup

Christian Casteyde casteyde.christian at free.fr
Thu Jan 29 23:37:22 CET 2004

Version cvs20040127

Loop on wizard + no channel effectively solved.
Channel detection now works for me too, even
if secam mode is not selected at the end.

Remaining bugs :
Standard is still not fixed properly at qtvision startup
or on channel selection.
Even if I have only secam channels, qtvision seems
to start with PAL (or NTSC ?) standard activated.
Changing channel doesn't set up the standard either
(which _is_ a bug, since standard is supposed to
be defined on a channel basis now).
To set up the channel, going to the wizard may help,
but this doesn't work always.

By the way, I looked at my system crash with qtvision.
In fact, it seems to be a X v4l plugin crash (do not know
exactly, I can't verify since I do not have mouse or keyboard
after crash). I reproduced it with the following configuration :
- linux 2.6.1, bttv driver loaded as module ;
- X11 plugin used ;
- channel selected but wrong standard set up (the main bug) ;
- opening message box (configure options for instance) ;
- move window over qtvision image area.

The system is really not stable when the standard is not
correct. There is lags (500 ms every 1-2 s ?), until a point
where there is complete deadlock. This seems to come
from bttv driver, since I managed to get the following
kernel logs :

Jan 29 21:08:30 sirius kernel: bttv0: timeout: risc=0c6d703c, bits: HSYNC
OFLOW
Jan 29 21:08:30 sirius kernel: bttv0: reset, reinitialize
Jan 29 21:09:00 sirius kernel: bttv0: timeout: risc=0c6d701c, bits: HSYNC
OFLOW
Jan 29 21:09:00 sirius kernel: bttv0: reset, reinitialize
Jan 29 21:09:01 sirius kernel: bttv0: timeout: risc=0c6d701c, bits: OFLOW
Jan 29 21:09:01 sirius kernel: bttv0: reset, reinitialize
Jan 29 21:09:03 sirius kernel: bttv0: timeout: risc=0c6d701c, bits: VSYNC
HSYNC
OFLOW
Jan 29 21:09:03 sirius kernel: bttv0: reset, reinitialize
Jan 29 21:09:04 sirius kernel: bttv0: timeout: risc=0c6d701c, bits: VSYNC
HSYNC
OFLOW
Jan 29 21:09:05 sirius kernel: bttv0: reset, reinitialize
Jan 29 21:09:05 sirius kernel: bttv0: timeout: risc=0c6d701c, bits: HSYNC
OFLOW
Jan 29 21:09:07 sirius kernel: bttv0: reset, reinitialize
Jan 29 21:10:08 sirius syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

The last line is system reset switch. I think the "reset, reinitialize /
timeout" is causing the lags I experience. The last one may occurs
at time where X server needs other resource (when I move the window
I guess), and this is complete deadlock & system freeze.
Very easy to produce (twice in a quarter this evening).

This should certainly be reported to v4l / bttv maintainer, but I do not
know them so I post here. I can provide additionnal informations
if necessary.

CC