[Kwintv] Final touches

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Sun Jan 25 09:35:20 CET 2004

On Sunday 25 January 2004 06:32, Zack Rusin wrote:
> My initial installation was without the vbi plugin. I installed it but
> because all my channels were already there I'd have to rescan all the
> channels again to get the station names. Rescaning with vbi sucks
> though because it's so incredibly slow. Here's a patch that let's the
Hmm. Maybe station name broadcasting is slower in US, here in Germany it
lightning fast. Problem is, if there is no name broadcasting, the scanner
waits 3 seconds for a name to be broadcasted. I read this interval somewhere
in the libzbvi docs. I'll introduce a switch to shorten this interval ("don't
wait for station name from vbi").

> channelstore update the channel name if it's empty or just a numeric
> value.
Good idea. Maybe you could fine-tune the algorithm: in Europe, frequency names
may contain also letters (S21, SE3, ...). See the frequency lists.

> 1) Race in the vbi plugin which blocks whole kwintv -> blocks in the
> vbiprivate destructor in the wait() call.
Never encountered one, but go ahead.

> 2) Channels aren't saved on exit. This really has to happen without
> forcing users to export them. Actually I think I'll just create the
> startup wizard that will save the channels after the first scan.
Channels are saved in QtVision's destructor. If this doeas not happen for you,
something else is wrong.

> 3) Closed captioning plugin needs to export both options as kaction's
> and we need to have dcop interface for both so that we can use them
> from a remote with kdelirc.
Feel free to fix the plugin and it's handling. We have no CC here, so I can
only do what someone reports me, but noone did.

> 4) vbi plugin often emits an empty program name for channels with a
> valid program name. It usually :
>  a) emits the right name,
>  b) emits the empty name,
>  c) emits the right name,
> I'm not sure where the empty name is coming from.
Maybe it should be changed to only emit non-empty names.

> 5) I have to yet see kwintv exiting properly. I haven't yet checked
> where besides the vbi plugin it's blocking. I'll debug it a bit
> tomorrow.
> 6) In place editing doesn't work in the channeleditor.
OK

> After those little thingies I'll be working on tv listings and
> recording. I talked to Rich a little bit today, his tuner is busted so
> he can't be playing with it right now but he'd like to use xmltv which
> seems like a great idea. Once we have tv listings the recording is the
> natural progression so that you can setup what you want to record.
Great!

> I looked at the todo and I'd be suggesting to release the 1.0 after
> these are done. Move to extragear and there work on the other features
> (listings and recording from my side).
Agreed. I release cvs tarballs sice a few days, an there were only a few
complaints about compiling issues which are hopefully sorted out now, so we
make good progress.

Can you also have a look at the UI quirks? Configurable toolbars, Video on
desktop clipping, flicker when chaning view modes (XVIDEO), Screensaver
shutdown. You are much more experienced than I am, maybe you see the problem
at a glance.

From my side, feel free to apply your patches, I think there is no need for
you to post them on the list before.