[Kwintv] Some problem with the last kwintv

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 23:09:36 CET 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 22:22, Christian Casteyde wrote:
> 1. The secam mode is broken. Old channels are opened, but interpreted as
> PAL channels => unusable. If I restart the wizard, I can select secam,
This is because source and tv norm are now saved per channel, not per device.
The migration code is *word censored*. I didn't spend much time thinking
about it.

> and the image appears OK, as long as I click cancel (=> restore PAL,
> re-problem). "Next" cannot be clicked because there is no valid channel
> detection with xv plugin (don't know why). If I choose v4l plugin, I can
Unfortunately the Xv interface does not support it. If you get the vbidecoder
working (Config dialog -> plugins -> vbidecoder -> configure) then the
decoder can be used for channel detection.

> click next, but no channels are found (certainly because the
> scan is done in PAL, even if I selected secam). Therefore, the only
Hmmmm. SHOULD not happen, but seems to. I don't know why at the moment.
Doesn't happen for me. Even if I scan in Germany (we use PAL) with SECAM or
NTSC mode, the app finds all channels.

> way to see TV is to select xv plugin, open the wizard, select secam
> and move it away to see the image. I used to use an old cvs version
> of qtvision, which worked OK.
That's of course not the way we intended the app to work ;-)

> 2. If I remove all channels and start qtvision twice it shows
> me the wizard since it has no channel. Since xv source is selected,
> I cannot click next (same bug as before). But if I click Cancel, the wizard
> is closed and reopened illico, since there is still no channel. I cannot
> go out of there, killall qtvision. To repair, must erase qtvision
> config files.
I see the bug, fixed it and just uploaded a new snapshot.

> 3. Channel scan crashed 2.6 kernel twice if the expert mode is not selected
> (as soon as Next is clicked). Certainly a kernel bug, but maybe bad ioctls/
> sequence helped. Didn't reproduced with 2.4, and finally neither in 2.6 in
> expert mode. There didn't seem to be a kernel Oops, rather a deadlock
> (ps is locked, kill is locked, the OS still lives thanks to preemption, but
> shutdown failed due to process lock). The second time, the whole machine
> locked. No trace in syslog.
Ouch. I don't know what to do with that. If you can get useful debug info,
mail it to the bttv maintainer (www.bytesex.org).