[Kwintv] Re: The old KWinTV hangs with DMA enabled

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 22 18:22:18 CET 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 11.40, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > I have contacted the video4linux list, but they could not help,
> > because it is a hardware bug. They said only the manufacturer can
> > help.
>
> Yes, it looks like a hardware problem, but i'm wondering if they can
> solve the problem with a BIOS update, isn't it possible to solve also
> from the drivers?

Yes. I bios update may help, but it also may not.

> > A developer of the windows driver replied to my query and suggested to
> > try out some bios settings, and to set the latency timer of the tv
> > device to 10. (though I could already find this info in various FAQs
> > on the NET) That did help, but it would still freeze when there was
> > heavy hard drive io.
>
> Good hint, I should look at it, although I don't recall seeing such
> settings in this BIOS.

The latency timer should be set in linux using setpci.
Like this:
setpci -s 00:0b.0 latency_timer=0xa

I dont remember the bios settings they have propesed, since they did not
help...
Maybe you can try something about PCI settings, and Delayed Transaction.

Regards
Zsolt