[Kwintv] Nearly fine, but still some standard problems at startup

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Sat Feb 21 22:30:15 CET 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 12:56, Christian Casteyde wrote:
> Well, as I post in an earlier message, I managed to scan after modifying
> the channel detection time-out (constant TUNING_DELAY_MSEC in
> channelscanner.cpp fixed to 700ms). At least, I got a functional channel
> file. I checked the previous CVS qtvision version I used before, and it
> seems it cannot scan the channels either (but it used to). This seems
> really to be a change in timing in bttv driver hence. With this time-out, I
> do not have any scanning problem anymore (with both kernel series).
Hmmm... don't know if I should increase it, since it didn't work perfectly
either (some lines below, you say it only finds 5 out of 7 stations).

> I tracked down the code to XvPutImage (in fact, I only need
> to show the channel pannel, this reduces the video widget
> and therefore call XvPutImage) : each time this is called,
> the norm is taken into account.
OK, then this is quite surely a bug in the v4l bridge of XFree you are using.
You said that you are using 4.3.0, which is rather "old" (=more than one
year). I think we shouldn't include a work-around for this in qtvision since
any recent distro should ship newer versions.

> Maybe Xv is not 2.6 ready ?
It is, I use it.

> At least it doesn't seem to be a qtvision problem !
I also think so.

> Overlay would indeed be an interesting test, since I would use bttv
> and bypass Xv.
> However, I didn't managed to do the test, since the overlay plugin
> doesn't appear in the video plugins settings (only mixer and xv
> does appear). How can I get these plugins compiled and installed ?
It's not a plugin, it's a config option of the v4l plugin ("prefer overlay if
available").

> > scan using the xv plugin, this may be because there is no vbidecoder
> > running. Configure it in the plugins dialog.
> Same remarks as before : vbi plugin doesn't appear in the config dialog
> (CVS 20040214).
Install libzvbi and the headers for it (usually libzvbi-devel) and rerun
configure.