[Kwintv] Nearly fine, but still some standard problems at startup

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Sat Feb 14 12:20:18 CET 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 20:36, Christian Casteyde wrote:
> I will further investigate but now I have to look at the source
> and try to modify some things (first, fix the norm to secam
> by default to see if this is the problem, but now I don't think
> so, the scan doesn't work for another reason [racy channel
> detection on my old config ?]).
I greatly appreciate your help in tracking this down. I _never_ experienced
any of the problems on my box (as I already emailed in a private message to
Chrisitan, I can flawlessly use qtvision to scan and display SECAM channels).

One idea I have is that thread locking in the v4l plugin may be broken for
you, there are a grabber thread and the GUI thread that may want to access
the device at the same time. That _shouldn't_ crash the box, but may cause
malfunctions. If you run qtvision in a debugger, you msut never see two
threads performing an IOCTL on the video device when the app crashes (if you
happen to only get the app frozen, not the system).
Also, you can try to use overlay (configure in video plugin settings) with the
v4l plugin now, it should work quite well (but can use some redraw
improvements) since yesterday. You overlay is enabled if your display
flickers when the window is hidden/unhidden and you have "artifacts" when
moving the window.
If overlay is used, there is no image grabber thread running -> if it doesn't
crash now, it has something to do with thread race problems.

Do you also experience crashes or problems with the xv plugin? If you can't
scan using the xv plugin, this may be because there is no vbidecoder running.
Configure it in the plugins dialog.