[Kwintv] Problem with Overlay and FullScreen Resolution change

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Fri Apr 16 08:01:45 CEST 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 22:08, Markus Gayda wrote:
> when i let KWinTV change my resolution in full-screen mode the overlay
> is only visible in the lower right corner. (the upper left corner of the
> overlay is visible)
> How can i adjust that?
>
> System: WinTV USB with kernel 2.6.5, v4l, usbvision-0.9.6, Notebook with
> 366MHz.
Hmmm.. From a quick look this sounds like some bug in the usbvision driver.
Can only guess on that.

> Alternatively i would LOVE to hear how to configure my notebook to just
> play back a TV channel in Full-Screen mode without stuttering on my
> above setup. This is only possible with using overlay at the moment. As
> soon as i disable overlay i get stuttering. (for whatever reason - i
> tried for a day now to find out why... but am too dumb obviously).
> And unfortunately i was unable to find a way to scale the overlay to
> full-screen on any program :-(
All non-overlay display modes consume much more CPU time since scaling and
video format conversion are performed in software. Maybe your notebook is too
slow for that.
Most tv card chips (bttv and obviously also the one used in your USB card) can
only scale down, but not up. This is why the desktop resolution needs to be
changed for fullscreen overlay video.
The only suggestion I have for you is to try to get the xv plugin to work and
use the xv device "Video4Linux - XVIDEO port XXX". Usually the graphics card
is used for the upscaling, but many people experinence image quality
difficulties (nvidia chips).