[Kwintv] kv4lsetup

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 12 22:07:02 CEST 2004

On Monday 12 April 2004 21.08, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
> On Monday 12 April 2004 19:37, Zsolt Rizsanyi wrote:
> > If it is necessary, then how should it be used. I have never run it
> > explicitly. Is it run automatically from kdetv. In that case should it
> > be installed setuid root ?
>
> kv4lsetup tells the bttv driver the properties of the X display which is
> necessary for overlay video display. Setting them wrong could crash the
> system, this is why the IOCTL doing this is privileged. Therefore, a
> SUID root program is necessary to do it: kv4lsetup. kdetv runs it
> whenever you use the v4l plugin:

Ok. In that case I should take care to package it as setuid...

Now only the man page problem remains. But AFAIR programs only called from
other programs should not be installed to /usr/bin (that's the place for
programs intended to be run by users). It should go to /usr/lib if I
remember correctly.
Am I right? Would this be hard to change?

Of course I could write a man page for kv4lsetup explaining that it should
not be called by the user, but that doesn't seems like a nice solution.

Regards
Zsolt