[Kwintv] kv4lsetup

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Mon Apr 12 21:08:29 CEST 2004

On Monday 12 April 2004 19:37, Zsolt Rizsanyi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need some information about kv4lsetup, because I'm supposed to write a
> man page for the debian package.
>
> The main question is if it is really necessary, or I should just leave it
> out of the package.
> If it is necessary, then how should it be used. I have never run it
> explicitly. Is it run automatically from kdetv. In that case should it be
> installed setuid root ?
kv4lsetup tells the bttv driver the properties of the X display which is
necessary for overlay video display. Setting them wrong could crash the
system, this is why the IOCTL doing this is privileged. Therefore, a SUID
root program is necessary to do it: kv4lsetup. kdetv runs it whenever you use
the v4l plugin:

kdetv: Grabber Name: BT878(Hauppauge WinTV PVR)
kdetv: Type: 235
kdetv: Input Channels: 4
kdetv: minw=48, minh=32, maxw=924, maxh=576
kdetv:   Supports: capture to memory
kdetv:   Supports: video overlay
kdetv:   Supports: clipping
kdetv:   Supports: scaling
kdetv:   Requires: overwriting frame buffer
kdetv: The device supports overlay. Running kv4lsetup.
kv4lsetup: using X11 display :0.0
dga: version 2.0
mode: 1280x1024, depth=24, bpp=32, bpl=5120, base=0xc8000000
/dev/video1 [v4l2]: ioctl VIDIOC_QUERYCAP: Invalid argument
/dev/video1 [v4l]: configuration done
kdetv: Found RGB32 display.
kdetv: Display properties: depth: 24, bits/pixel: 32, bytes/pixel: 4