[Kwintv] device problems

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon May 19 23:51:12 CEST 2003

On Thursday 15 May 2003 18:54, Rainer Collet wrote:
> i have also got the problem that not all devices works after installing
> qtvision. i got an old bt848 wintv card from hauppauge which works fine
> with xawtv and kwintv. but since i installed suse 8.2 fullscreen mode
> does not work any longer. i read in the mailling list archive that this
> is a common problem and the only way to solve it is to compile and use
> qtvision. so i tried to, but qtvision does not find any devices i think.
> at beginning, i am asked to choose one of the devices /dev/video,
> /dev/video0 and video4linux and a source. i choosed /dev/video and
> composite1 which are afaik right for me. but then it starts, this device
> seems not to be accessable. in the settings dialog  only appears the v4l
> device. after a second start i am not asked about sources any more. the
> problems are differnt if i log in as normal user (not as root) then no
> devices are listed at all. but in both cases i cannot get the video of
> the composit1 source of my tv-card :-(

  Here's the problem:

You have enabled auto-start so that when you restart the app, it uses your
last device.  Furthermore, if you start using a device, it will no longer
appear in the available devices list because it is in use.  This is in a
sense a bug and we will fix it soon.

Your permissions on /dev/video* are all wrong if you can only see them as
root.  Make sure you give your user id access to them.

KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/