[Kwintv] Dual Video Capture

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:35:34 -0500

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 18:27, Rajani wrote:
> I work for a higher ed institution and am in the
> process of developing a linux based application that
> can capture 2 video streams. A sample windows based
> application from a vendor - just a screenshot, so I
> can explain you my project more clearly.
> http://www.imagingcontrol.com/ic/images/simpway_triggermdi_src-zoom.gif
>
> I was wondering if I would be able to accomplish that
> using KwinTV. (I would not mind putting in some
> programming effort), but would be more than happy if
> you could please provide me with some leads. I am not
> particular about compression and can handle it
> offline.
>
> All I would want this application to do is preview
> _TWO_ streams on the screen and then dump them in raw
> format to the harddisk. Could you please help me with
> that ? I am using Linux Media Labs LMBT44
> (https://www.linuxmedialabs.com/product_details.php?prodid=310
> ) as my capture card.

   You could do this with the rewrite of kwintv, but it would require some
code.  Effectively you would need to make a new "client" (see
kwintv3/qtvision/clients/) which contains two "qtvision kparts".  Our current
client of course contains one kpart.

   As for saving to disk, you will need to make modifications to the plugin
for that.  I don't know what kind of frame rate you expect, but right now the
v4l plugin needs a lot of work and optimisation, and may not be able to drive
full frame rate while writing to disk and displaying to the screen.  It also
does not include any colourspace conversion yet.