[Kwintv] Installation Directories (was: Select Source - source not found)

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:26:50 -0500

On Friday 21 March 2003 09:22, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Friday 21 March 2003 08:13, Jens Westemeier wrote:
> > Thanks for the help. That was it. Changing to /opt/kde3 solved the
> > problem. I'm still a bit surprised, how far I came with the wrong
> > directory. No trouble with configure, make, ...
>
> Yes, that's what I don't quite understand as well. I mean, changing the
> installation prefix should not result in a different behavior, as long as
> the rest of KDE resides in the same directory structure. If someone
> decides to install KDE in /usr/kde instead of /opt/kde there should not be
> any difference, right? So is there a problem with configure or why is it a
> problem to install it in /usr/local/kde?!

  The problem is that KDE doesn't find the .desktop files because it is not
configured to search there.  You can either configure it to search there, or
you can install it along with the rest of the KDE apps. :-)