[Kwintv] ALSA mixer patch

Neil Macvicar blackmogu at vfemail.net
Thu Jul 31 23:05:23 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 9:42 pm, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've made a few fixes to the ALSA plugin because it has IMHO a rather
> strange behaviour:
>
> - It ignores setVolume calls if the mixer is muted <-> OSS unmutes and
> applies volume

Dirk, I don't think what you outline here is correct - having looked at the
source, if you have a muted mixer, then the videosource is also muted. The
only way to unmute the videosource is to toggle the mute again. Unmuting the
mixer only doesn't have much effect.

George, or perhaps another long-time contributor - is it desired activity to
unmute both the AudioManager and the VideoSource upon a volume change ?

> - It doesn't actually set volume on a setVolume() call, it just stores it
> in class attributes <-> OSS immediately applies
> - Volume is set on a volumeLeft() or volumeRight() call. This was unnoticed
> since qtvision almost always reads back volume immediately after setting.

Yeah, this was crazy code by me :-) Fixed it, and cleaned up a few more bits
and pieces. I've yet to submit them, since I'd like resolution on the
mute/unmute issue above.

--Neil.