[Kwintv] sound won't turn off

darwin Meredith conan1m at peoplepc.com
Fri Aug 22 14:55:31 CEST 2003

I have one last question. I realize you guys don't
support KWINTV anymore but I wanted to say that I
thought the picture was pretty good in KWINTV and
everything worked fine except for the sound problem
after exiting KWINTV which is cause by my win tv card.
I will try to install QTvision but I am worried about
the sound. Is there anyway I can tell that a channel is
being used that kwintv didn't turn off after I exit it?
Would Gamix show it? I am worried that the channel
might be still open when I install QTvision and
QTvision might have problems. QTvision might even turn
off the channel.

Thanks,

darwin

wrote:
> > I have ati all in wonder ve tv card. I am using suse
> > 8.2. When I exit kwintv the sound won't turn off.
When
> > I reboot my computer it the sound of the speakers
come
> > on. I did some research in the archieves and found
the
> > reason. Here it is,
> >  "The problem with TV sound starting with KDE is
> caused
> > by v4l loading from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  v4l is
come
> > on.  If I remove the "Load" sound only starts when I
> > load bttv...  Of course, this isn't really helpful
as
> > v4l is required for QTVision...  My guess is that
the
> > bttv driver initializes the tv decoder chip on the
> card
> > expecting the tuner, tvaudio, msp3400 or videodev
> > module to deal with the sound (mute it).
> > The TV-Wonder-VE, and perhaps the WinTV card has
> > problems with the audio.  The card doesn't do it's
own
> > volume control.  The volume and muting is done
through
> > the Line-In rather than TV controls of the
> > mixer."
>
>    There is a setting to select the mixer, but I don't
> know if it still works.
> Otherwise, kwintv is mostly obsolete as development
> focusses on the rewrite.
> Sorry.
>
> > I haven't tried QTVision yet. I belive I will have
the

Inc.		http://www.staikos.net/